Type de membre Any
Type d'emploi Permanent Full Time
Salaire: $55,000 - 59,000
Date de clôture: 2023/12/31
Nom du contact: Stephen Wheeler
Website: View Website
Adresse de contact: 75 O'Leary Avenue
Ville de contact: St. John's
Province de contact: Newfoundland & Labrador
Contact Postal Code: A1B 2C9
Email du contact:
Description de l'emploi:
Public Opportunity/Permanent/Full Time
The Municipal Assessment Agency is required to provide municipalities with real property values (or assessments) in accordance with the terms and conditions of the province’s Assessment Act, 2006. We are responsible for providing a fair and effective property assessment service to 234 municipalities within Newfoundland and Labrador.
Location: Any Regional Office, NL [St. John’s (Eastern), Gander (Central), Corner Brook (Western/Labrador)]
Why join the Municipal Assessment Agency?
The Municipal Assessment Agency is committed to providing their employees with training and overall professional growth. We provide great rewards including, but not limited to, comprehensive health benefits, flexible working arrangements, leave benefits, a continuous learning environment, employee and family assistance program, and challenging work.
The Valuation Services Division of the Municipal Assessment Agency is offering a great opportunity for a Residential Assessor. The successful candidate will ensure accurate valuation of property and outstanding customer service to our clients throughout Newfoundland and Labrador.
· Analyse market data and assign value to all properties in a portfolio of real property including, but not limited to, residential and undeveloped properties.
· Collaborate with field staff to set priorities and ensure timelines are met.
· Ensure the quality of the valuation and equity of assessment through application of accepted methods and performance of prescribed quality control functions (i.e. ratio studies, equalization process, etc.).
· Review property data and inspect properties in support of the appeal process.
· Represent the Agency at tribunal hearings and appear as a witness in Supreme Court to provide evidence for verification of data and valuation.
· Conduct market research on all real property in order to keep abreast of market trends within any region.
· Investigate property transactions to determine and verify consideration, influences on price, and qualification as an open market transaction.
· Provide opinions and estimates of condition, age, and functionality of improvements using a review of maps, deeds, and surveys. Determine and record ownership, boundary, dimensional, topographical, and location details.
· Verify legal descriptions of properties by comparing them to current assessment records.
· Confirm building codes and zoning by-laws in order to determine any effects on the property being appraised. Interview individuals familiar with the property as required.
· Provide valuation and consulting services outside the assessment function to municipalities in the form of letters of opinion or brief narrative work.
· A diploma in appraisal/assessment or related field (equivalencies may be considered)
· Must possess one of the following accreditations/designations:
o Accredited Appraiser Canadian Institute (AACI) or Certified Residential Appraiser (CRA) of the Appraisal Institute of Canada
o Certified Assessment Evaluator (CAE) of the International Association of Assessing Officers
o Residential Evaluation Specialist (RES)
o Designated Appraiser Residential (DAR) through the Canadian National Association of Real Estate Appraisers
o Member Institute of Municipal Assessors (MIMA) or Associate Member Institute of Municipal Assessors (AIMA) through the Institute of Municipal Assessors
· Must be eligible for membership in the International Association of Assessing Officers, Institute of Municipal Assessors or the Appraisal Institute of Canada
· Experience in the real estate valuation field
· Experience working with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook)
· Experience with iasWorld or similar property assessment software (asset)
· Experience in a CAMA environment (asset)
In addition, you will demonstrate:
· Knowledge of real property assessment practices
· Knowledge of the Assessment Act, 2006
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
· Proficiency with property assessment software (asset)
· Knowledge of computer assisted mass appraisal (asset)
· Communication skills, both verbal and written
· The ability to manage time and work collaboratively with various teams
· Be self-motivated and possess problem solving skills
· Leadership skills and be client focused
· Analytical skills with an attention to detail
Conditions of Employment: Valid class 5 NL Driver’s Licence
Salary: CG 34 ($56,711 – $63,172) as per NAPE Collective Agreement
(35 hours per week)
Closing Date: Open until filled
Applications, quoting reference MAA.RA.03.2023, must be submitted to
· For additional information on this job opportunity, please contact Human Resources at 709-330-0855.
· This is a NAPE GS bargaining unit position and as per the Collective Agreement, applicants internal to the bargaining unit will be considered prior to other candidates.
· An equivalent combination of experience and training may be considered.
· It is the responsibility of the applicant to submit an application that demonstrates the requirements.
· All applications must contain accurate contact information, including current mailing address, email address, and phone number.
· This job competition may be used to fill similar positions in the future.
· Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.