Director, Real Estate Valuations (Americas) – Toronto - Ontario
Permanent Full Time | Contact Name: Recruiting
Permanent Full Time
Website: View Website
1 Queen Street East
Contact Postal Code:
Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investments, you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $500 billion, CPP Investments is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) to help ensure long-term sustainability. The CPP Fund is projected to reach $3 trillion by 2050. CPP Investments invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and is headquartered in Toronto with offices in Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Mumbai, New York City, San Francisco, São Paulo and Sydney.
CPP Investments attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- Being motivated every day by CPP Investments’ important social purpose and unshakable principles
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here’s an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPP Investments.
CPP Investments has a significant opportunity for an experienced real estate leader to join our Real Estate Valuations Group; a team with offices in Toronto and London and responsibility for developing an independent view of fair value for the $46 billion global real estate portfolio. The valuations of our investments are the basis for key decisions made to manage the CPP Fund, including asset allocation, risk management and financial reporting. The position reports to the Managing Director, Valuations in our Toronto office, and is focused on the Americas real estate portfolio.
The investments in the Americas consist of a wide array of institutional quality assets located in Canada, the United States and Brazil, and represent almost half of the global real estate portfolio. The Director, Real Estate Valuations will be at the forefront of efforts to evolve our valuation oversight in the Americas, with involvement in key decisions that will define the direction and shape of our global valuation practices and controls. They will be responsible for generating insights that will enhance valuation practices and for managing interactions with Valuations Group and other enterprise-wide internal partners, and with external stakeholders.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned real estate leader with a deep understanding of valuation fundamentals, gained through extensive experience valuing in multiple of the relevant geographies. They will have solid market knowledge and industry connections, and will be well-practiced building and managing teams, including demonstrated change management skills earned through leading process changes and/or initiatives.
- Build and lead the Americas valuation team, providing guidance and mentorship
- Develop a deep knowledge of CPP Investments real estate portfolio and operations enabling you and your team to support the business as independent and objective partners while continuing the maturity of our risk, governance and control frameworks
- Own and manage the internal and external valuations process, controls, deliverables and reporting for the relevant regions
- Manage external appraisals, services, processes and relationships, establishing best practices and guidelines
- Lead the integration of regional valuations with the global portfolio results, reporting, and analytics
- Report and substantiate valuation results to valuation, finance, and investment leadership, and internal and external auditors
- Maintain market acumen, and foster relationships in global investment, brokerage, peer and appraisal communities
- Establish relationships and manage stakeholders across multiple CPP Investments’ global offices, partners, and functions
- Manage complex projects and initiatives, collaborating across groups, effectively managing multiple moving parts, project resources and integrating the needs of stakeholders for the greatest organizational impact
- Other duties and/or projects as required
- Relevant undergraduate or advanced degree – real estate, valuations, business studies
- AACI, MAI, MRICS, or equivalent professional accreditation
- Extensive senior-level commercial real estate experience with multiple asset classes in Canada, US and Brazil
- Proven expertise in commercial property valuation and` portfolio level reporting and analytics
- Deep understanding of local valuation standards and methodologies for multiple geographic locations
- Strong valuation modelling skills for complex institutional assets using Argus Enterprise
- Track record of building and leading high-performance teams
- Strong stakeholder management skills with significant leadership exposure
- Proven ability to drive business results
- Excellent analytical skills and business judgement
- Demonstrable experience managing complex projects and initiatives, collaborating across groups and effectively managing project resources and stakeholder needs
- Superior MS Office applications user (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook); Tableau beneficial
Who You Are:
- A proven leader
- Proactive mindset
- Well organized with exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
- Able to contribute to functional improvement and design in collaboration with multiple stakeholders
- Have the capacity and experience to challenge stakeholders on valuations
- Work capably independently, and effectively lead a small team committed to group goals and initiatives
- Willing to be hands on with quarterly valuations and reporting work
- Trusted advisor who excels at building and nurturing relationships
- Able to balance multiple workstreams in a deadline-oriented environment
- Solid written and verbal communication skills; able to present findings clearly and concisely
- Enjoy being a part of a culture of excellence, are flexible and continually strive to innovate in a fast-paced setting
- Exemplify CPP Investments’ Guiding Principles of integrity, partnership and high performance
Please apply directly with a CV to the following link: https://smrtr.io/7fqgd
Visit our LinkedIn Career Page or Follow us on LinkedIn.
At CPP Investments, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.
Our Commitment to Inclusion and Diversity:
In addition to being dedicated to building a workforce that reflects diverse talent, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible experience. If you require an accommodation for any part of the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms, etc.), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
CPP Investments does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a formal contractual arrangement with us. Our recruitment supplier arrangements are restricted to specific hiring needs and do not include this or other web-site job postings. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by CPP Investments to provide resumes to this posting or web-site will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered. CPP Investments will not pay any referral, placement or other fee for the supply of such unsolicited resumes or information.
Mandatory Vaccine Policy
Effective November 1, 2021, all employees in the Toronto, New York and San Francisco offices will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations to this policy will be made for medical or other protected grounds. Please contact us to discuss any accommodation needs.