Member type: Any
Employment type: Permanent Full Time
Salary range: $100,000+
Contact Name: Kelly Smith
Website: View Website
Contact Address: 75 O'Leary Avenue
Contact City: St. John's
Contact Province: Newfoundland & Labrador
Contact Postal Code: A1B2C9
Director, Valuation Services
Permanent/ Full Time/ Public Opportunity
The Municipal Assessment Agency is required to provide municipalities with real property values (or assessments) in accordance with the terms and conditions of the province’s Assessment Act, 2006. We are responsible for providing a fair and effective property assessment service to 230 municipalities within Newfoundland & Labrador.
Location: Any Regional Office, Municipal Assessment Agency, locations (St. John’s, Gander, or Corner Brook, NL)
Why join the Municipal Assessment Agency?
The Municipal Assessment Agency is committed to providing their employees with training and overall professional growth. We provide great rewards including, but not limited to, comprehensive health benefits, flexible working arrangements, leave benefits, a continuous learning environment, employee & family assistance program, and challenging work.
The Municipal Assessment Agency is seeking a Director of Valuation Services.
Under the general direction of the VP, Valuation & Client Services, this senior leadership role provides strategic direction to the overall valuation process. This role is responsible for ensuring the delivery of assessment services to its clients. This includes the annual assessment of approximately 220,000 commercial, industrial and residential properties. The Director of Valuation Services manages effective field operations, data management and analysis, and applies aerial imagery strategic tools to improve quality and reliability of data.
This role supports the strategic plan and overall mission, vision and core values of the organization. This person will ensure practices and tools are applied in all aspects of assessment, legislation requirements are met, and build and maintain relationships with the Board of Directors, the leadership team and employees to positively influence organizational change in meeting long term strategic goals and objectives within the organization.
The director will ensure uniformity of all property assessments and deliver high quality programs to clients; fiscal responsibilities are met; and lead professional teams.
· Bachelor’s Degree in a related field with a minimum 8-10 years’ experience in mass appraisal valuation. Equivalencies will be considered.
· One (1) or more of the following certifications/designations: Accredited Appraiser of the Appraisal Institute of Canada, (A.A.C.I.), Certified Assessment Evaluator of the International Association of Assessing Officers (C.A.E.), Residential Evaluation Specialist (R.E.S), and the Associate (A.I.M.A.) or the Accredited (M.I.M.A.) designation through the Institute of Municipal Assessors.
· Extensive knowledge of related legislation, appraisal practices, current assessment case law, and major issues in the industry is required.
· Experience and proficiency in managing professional staff in a unionized environment.
· Proficient in the use related to computer software (i.e. Microsoft Excel & Word, IASW or similar software) is required.
· Must have extensive experience in assessment practices, project management, and strategic planning.
· Must have effective verbal and written communications skills including providing presentations to stakeholders.
· Must be customer focused and demonstrate outstanding leadership skills and relationship building skills.
Salary: Remuneration will be in accordance with the Government of NL’s Management Compensation Plan. HL27 ($83,940 - $109,122(Under Review))
Closing Date: Open until filled
Applications, quoting reference MAA.DVS.03.2021, should be submitted to
· For additional information on this job opportunity please contact Kelly Smith at 709-724-1535.
· An equivalent combination of experience and training may be considered.
· It is the responsibility of the applicant to submit an application that demonstrates the requirements.
· All applications must contain accurate contact information, including current mailing address, email address and phone number.
· Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.