Member type: Any
Employment type: Permanent Full Time
Closing Date: 2021/08/03
Website: View Website
Contact Address: 604 Rossland Rd East
Contact City: Whitby
Contact Province: Ontario
Contact Postal Code: L1N 6A3
Contact Email: https://bit.ly/3czK0AO
THE REGIONAL MUNICIPALITY OF DURHAM Works Department
Leasing Specialist (Regular Full-Time)
Job ID: 14536 Job Number: 640 CUPE Local 1764
Open: Jun 11, 2021 Close: Aug 03, 2021
The Region of Durham is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion within its community and organization, and strongly welcomes and encourages applications from Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, women, persons with disabilities, people from LGBTQ2S+ communities, and people from other diverse communities.
In accordance with the AODA Act, accommodation will be provided throughout the recruitment process to applicants with disabilities.
This position is located at Regional Headquarters in Whitby, Ontario.
Reporting to the Manager, Financial Services and Corporate Real Estate, the Leasing Specialist is responsible to secure lease needs within a project timeline to adequately ensure tenders for leasehold improvements can move forward, meeting the desired launch date of programs from the new facility.
The incumbent will:
- Meet with senior staff from requesting Departments to ensure a business case and budget requirements are in place as well as determine needs of the project and conduct lease value analysis for the purpose of lease acquisition
- Negotiate commercial leases (new leases, renewals, extensions and amendments, licenses) and recommend negotiated agreements to senior management
- Provide advice and guidance to Project Design staff, Facilities Design, Construction and Asset Management Project Managers and Senior Management/Durham Regional Police Service Command regarding lease issues
- Manage leases by building strong client relationships with business groups, operating divisions, liaise and consulting with internal staff, and more particularly with the owners/landlord or their representatives including legal counsel
- Provide guidance, direction, instruction and advice to junior staff assigned to the leasing function
- Recommend strategic lease acquisitions based special projects and changing Regional requirements
- Manage temporary leases during disposal process for all Regionally owned lands and buildings
- Prepare Standing Committee reports to seek approval for negotiated agreements and to update Regional Council on strategic lease issues
- Prepare and administer information to Finance for budget and long-term payment schedules
- Work in accordance with the provisions of applicable health and safety legislation and all corporate/departmental policies and procedures related to occupational health and safety
The successful applicant will possess:
- A two-year post-secondary Legal Administration or Law Clerk diploma or in a related discipline
- A Certified Leasing Officer (CLO) designation from the Real Estate Institute of Canada
- Several years of work-related experience with significant understanding of commercial lease requirements, commercial lease legal clauses and the ability to read, understand, interpret and convey information
- Significant understanding of mapping, surveying, GIS information and legal documents
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook) and in lease/land specific programs such as MLS, Co-Star, GeoWarehouse, MPAC, and RealTrack
- Ability to read and understand Registered Plans and surveys as well as land titles, deeds and other legal documents
- Strong written, presentation and verbal communication skills with both internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work independently, making risk-based decisions with minimal supervision
- Ability to negotiate effectively and successfully, often from a weak position
A Fellow of the Real Estate Institute (FRI) designation with the of Real Estate Institute of Canada is an asset.
CUPE 1764 Salary Grade 8
This position is with Salary Grade 8 and will be paid at the following hourly rates:
- Start: $44.80 - Six Month: $47.29 - Job: $49.78
Conditions of Employment
Proof of education, qualifications and any other job bona fide requirements will be required prior to start date.
External Application Process
Come find a home where exciting and rewarding careers are balanced with your lifestyle. We thank all applicants; however, only those being considered will be contacted. Please apply online https://bit.ly/3gs9otB no later than midnight (Eastern Standard Time) on the closing date indicated on the Job Posting.
The Region of Durham is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. If contacted for an employment opportunity and you require accommodation, or if this information is required in an accessible format, please contact us at: and a Recruiter will provide appropriate assistance pursuant to the Region's Accommodation and Accessibility policies. Please note that resumes should not be sent to .