John Peebles, AACI
Land Ethic Consulting Ltd. - Victoria, BC
• Graduate of the University of British Columbia, Faculty of Forestry (BSF 1977).
• Appraisal Institute of Canada appraisal education program – recertified to December 2017.
• Accredited Appraiser, Appraisal Institute of Canada (AACI, P. App) since 1987.
• Registered Professional Forester: 1981 to present (retired status in Sept 2014).
• Past-President BC Association, Appraisal Institute of Canada
• Past National Board Director, Appraisal Institute of Canada
• Published author – Canadian Property Valuation Magazine and The Scrivener.
• Lecturer and Course Developer – UBC Sauder School of Business Real Estate Division
• 1995 to Current: Principal Land Ethic Consulting Ltd, Victoria, B.C.
• 2007 - Current: Independent Real Estate Appraiser & Consultant provides First Nation valuation and research services under contract to D.R. Coell & Associates Inc., Victoria, B.C.
• 2000-2007: Manager, Valuation Policy and Research, BC Assessment Authority Victoria (head office).
• 1995-2000: Principal, Land Ethic Consulting Ltd, Williams Lake, B.C.
• 1995 to 1997: Research Director & Project Manager for Xat’sull First Nation Traditional Use Study (Soda Creek).
• 1986-1995: Regional Manager, Ministry of Lands, Parks, and Housing (Williams Lake)
• 1977-1986: Land Agent and Senior Land Manager for Ministry of Lands, Parks, and Housing (Prince George and Cranbrook)
• Commercial: Regional, community and neighbourhood shopping centres, single and multi-tenanted retail commercial, mixed-use, and office properties, resort and remote lodging facilities, marinas, rental apartments.
• Development Land: expert in analysis of property development projects, including pro forma analysis for new commercial, multi-family, and mixed use projects.
• Resource & Forest land, including integration of commercial forest valuations with land valuations.
• Industrial: all types of light & heavy industrial and special purpose properties.
• Institutional: right-of-ways, schools, telecommunications installations, submerged land.
• First Nations Specific Claim valuation, BC Supreme Court Claims by First Nations, Reserve rental valuation and Reserve expert reports for Canada, the Province of B.C. and First Nation clients.
• Partial and complete takings for Expropriation Act proceedings.
• Ecological Gifts including partial and complete interests in property.
Property Negotiations and Acquisition
• Property Acquisition Agent for the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure for the Port Mann Highway 1 and Evergreen Rapid Transit Project, including total and partial takings, and management of expropriation files.
• Agent for the Capital Regional District related to relocation of a significant heavy industrial tenant in the Victoria Inner Harbour.
• Property Acquisition Agent for BC Transit concerning the Uptown Transit Exchange and Cowichan Valley Transit Yard.
• Agent for commercial marina operators on Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland to secure new or replacement tenures from the Province and Local Government.
• Expert reports and briefs for appeals before the Property Assessment Appeal Board.
• Expert reports for BC Supreme Court proceedings.
• Expert reports and consulting advice for Commercial Arbitration proceedings.
• Expert reports for First Nations Specific Land Claims Tribunal.
• Appraisal review and reconciliation of independent appraisals for property negotiations purposes, commercial arbitration, and a range of civil litigation matters.
Valuation & Market Research
• BC Transit transit yard and rapid transit real estate requirements.
• Market research for student housing at Camosun College.
• Market research for conversion & renovation of heritage era buildings.
• Financial and market analysis of re-development options for the Royal BC Museum.
• Highest and Best Use Study and business analysis for Cowichan Tribes heritage centre at Cowichan IR1.
• Delivery of commercial real estate training for private institutional clients.
• Research project for Environment Canada on the communication of Ecological Gifts program to real estate brokers, accountants, and others.
• First Nations
• Provincial & Federal Governments, Crown Corporations, First Nations and Government Sponsored Enterprises, and Local Governments
• Lending Institutions
• Private and corporate clients