The following institutions are the exclusive partners for the delivery of the AIC Program of Professional Studies:
AIC and the University of British Columbia’s Sauder School of Business are partners in offering a unique program designed for highly-motivated people seeking to join the real property valuation profession—and for valuation practitioners already employed in the industry who want to upgrade their education. Please contact the Real Estate Division for details on mature student admissions. For more information, visit www.realestate.ubc.ca/AIC
The Bachelor of Business in Real Estate (BBRE)
The BBRE has been jointly developed by the Real Estate Institute of British Columbia, the University of British Columbia (UBC) and Thompson Rivers University (TRU) – Open Learning, with ongoing support from BC’s Real Estate Foundation. The BBRE is a part-time program delivered via distance education and is offered by both UBC and TRU.
For more details, visit www.realestate.ubc.ca/BBRE
The Appraisal Institute of Canada and Université Laval have an exclusive partnership to deliver the AIC Professional Program of Study in French to real estate valuation professionals working toward the Accredited Appraiser Canadian Institute (AACI™) and Canadian Residential Appraiser (CRA™) professional designations. The French AIC Program of Professional Studies Program now offers distance learning courses through Université Laval’s Faculty of Business Administration (FSA ULaval) regular undergraduate programs.
The certificate program in real estate, the Programme de certificat en gestion urbaine et immobilière, is the academic requirement for those Candidates working towards both the AACI and the CRA professional designations, whereas the microprogram in real estate, the Microprogramme de 1er cycle en gestion urbaine et immobilière, fills the requirement for those who are working towards the CRA professional designation.
The following post-secondary institutions offer AIC-recognized real estate courses in classroom and distance learning settings.
The University of Guelph offers both a Real Estate and Housing major in its B.Comm program. The B.Comm Real Estate and Housing is one of only two undergraduate programs in Canada that specialize in the real estate sector. It takes a multi-disciplinary approach to the study of residential and commercial/investment real estate. Visit the University of Guelph program website for admission requirements and more information on the program.
The Athabasca University (AU) Faculty of Business recognizes AIC courses taken for credit with the UBC Real Estate Division towards its business degrees and meeting the requirements of the AACI designation. AU courses also meet the 36 credits of PGCV Admission General and Core Business/Commerce topics. For more information, contact the AU Faculty of Business Student Support Centre.
Seneca College’s Real Property Administration (RPA) Diploma Program will develop the expertise to become a highly versatile and in-demand professional in the property valuation and property tax sectors. This unique program offers a full-time, in-class delivery geared towards practical, hands-on learning in the fields of property appraisal, property assessment and property tax, including a Field Placement component in order to gain industry experience. Under our partnership with UBC, students will receive a Certificate in Real Property Assessment in addition to the RPA Diploma and receive credits towards both the CRA and AACI designations with the Appraisal Institute of Canada.
The RPA program is a four-semester (20 months) program. Admission requirements are Grade 12 English and Grade 12 Math.
For students that already possess a University Degree or College Diploma, the program can be completed in an accelerated stream over 2 semesters (8 months).
Langara College is a gateway to the real estate appraisal profession through its Real Property Analyst Certificate Program. Anyone with an interest in the valuation profession can begin their future in real estate at Langara College. Langara College works closely with the University of British Columbia and the Appraisal Institute of Canada to ensure that their courses and programs are aligned with educational standards across the profession. Download the Real Property Analyst Certificate Program Overview or visit the Langara College site.
AIC is actively involved in building affiliations around the world with like-minded organizations that believe in the importance of quality designation programs and effective professional standards within the valuation profession. AIC designations – the CRA and AACI – are internationally recognized and respected; AIC’s education program is seen as a gold standard within valuation professional associations (VPOs). Established in 1938, AIC is one of the longest standing professional valuation organizations in the world. We believe it is our responsibility to share our knowledge and work with other VPOs to advance the appraisal profession worldwide and ensure the effectiveness of valuation fundamentals within our global marketplace.
Read more about AIC’s partnerships with these leading valuation organizations:
On June 9, 2016 the Appraisal Institute of Canada (AIC) and the Appraisal Institute (AI), two of the leading valuation associations in North America, announced an agreement that mutually recognizes the excellence and quality of the AIC’s AACI and CRA designations and the Appraisal Institute’s MAI and SRA designations. The agreement acknowledges the rigorous education and designation processes, professional standards and ethics of each respective organization.
Through this agreement, Designated Members of either the AIC or the AI will be able to pursue the organizations’ respective designations (AACI ↔ MAI) (CRA ↔ SRA) with recognition of their professional education, knowledge and experience.
For more information, please read these AI-AIC Frequently Asked Questions.
For information regarding reciprocal designations, read the Designation to Designation Map.
The Appraisal Institute of Canada (AIC) and The European Group of Valuers’ Associations (TEGoVA) are pleased to announce the signing of a historic agreement which mutually recognizes the professional valuation standards and qualifications of each organization.
The June 9, 2016 agreement signed in Winnipeg, Manitoba, signifies that European clients can confidently engage AIC-designated appraisers – Accredited Appraiser Canadian Institute (AACI™) and the Canadian Residential Appraiser (CRA™) – to complete valuation assignments of the same quality as those of holders of TEGoVA titles – Recognised European Valuer (REV) and TEGoVA Residential Valuer (TRV). Similarly, Canadian clients can engage a valuation professional with an REV or TRV designation, knowing that a comprehensive approach and analysis will be delivered on an appraisal assignment required in Europe.
For more information, read the AIC-TEGoVA Frequently Asked Questions.
The IPTI offers a wide range of webinars, workshops and international events.
To see the full list of events, please click here.
AIC credits are guaranteed for the following events at a rate of 1 credit per hour (averaging 6 credits per function):
- Vancouver Real Estate Forum – April 4, 2019
- Montreal Real Estate Forum – April 17, 2019
- Saskatchewan Real Estate Forum – April 30, 2019
- Edmonton Real Estate Forum – May 9, 2019
- Atlantic Real Estate Forum – June 12, 2019
- Calgary Real Estate Forum – November 6, 2019
- Real Estate Forum – December 4-5, 2019
For more details or to see other upcoming events, click here.
Under a partnership with AIC and CICEA, AIC members may access the Certified Executor Advisor education program to obtain the CEA designation.
The CICEA on-line education program is divided into these seven modules:
- Module 1) Getting Started; Duties of an Executor / Executrix
- Module 2) Financial Considerations
- Module 3) Property
- Module 4) Trusts
- Module 5) The Estate and Probate
- Module 6) Challenges of Estate Administration
- Module 7) Benefits of The CEA
- For more detailed information about the curriculum, download the CEA Syllabus.
- AIC members’ preferred price is $1,295 (discounted by $200)
- 12 guaranteed continuous professional development credits will be granted to AIC members upon the successful completion of the full course.
- To register for the CEA program with your special AIC discount, go to this link.
- For more information, go to AIC’s Frequently Asked Questions.
CARSON DUNLOP CONTINUING EDUCATION The following Carson Dunlop courses have been approved for guaranteed AIC CPD credits. For more information visit the Carson Dunlop website.
- Commercial roofing – 3 AIC CPD credits
- Commercial structures – 3 AIC CPD credits
- Forced-air gas heating – 3 AIC CPD credits
- Exterior structures – 4 AIC CPD credits
- Getting electricity into the home – 4 AIC CPD credits
- Grow houses – 1 AIC CPD credit
- The home inspection process – 3 AIC CPD credits
- Plumbing: supply, drain, waste and vent – 3 AIC CPD credits
- Surface water control and landscaping – 3 AIC CPD credits
- Understanding residential cooling systems and insulation – 3 AIC CPD credits
- Understanding residential electrical systems and appliances – 3 AIC CPD credits
- Understanding residential heating – 3 AIC CPD credits
- Understanding residential interiors – 3 AIC CPD credits
- Understanding residential plumbing systems – 3 AIC CPD credits
- Understanding residential roofing and exteriors – 3 AIC CPD credits
- Understanding residential structures – 3 AIC CPD credits
- Wells, pumps and septic systems – 3 AIC CPD credits
- Wood-burning fireplaces – 3 AIC CPD credits
- Architectural Styles – 3 AIC CPD credits
Take a course from ES Computer Training and earn guaranteed AIC CPD credits Offered in classrooms in various Ontario locations
- NEW Facebook & LinkedIn for the Real Estate Industry – 7 CPDs
- MS Outlook – Contact Management System for Real Estate Professionals – 7 CPDs
- MS Excel – Finances for Real Estate Professionals – 7 CPDs
- MS Publisher for Real Estate Professionals – 7 CPDs
- Creating Marketing Presentations for Real Estate Professionals – 7 CPDs
For details: ES Computer Training 131 Bloor St. W. Suite 200/318 Toronto, ON M5S 1R8
E-LEARNING:The International Property Tax Institute (IPTI), in partnership with the Institute of Municipal Assessors (IMA), offers an learning platform designed to provide a cost effective and content rich, online learning opportunity for continued education in the field of property assessment valuation and taxation.
For details download the brochure here.
REAL ESTATE INSTITUTE OF CANADA (REIC)
Under a partnership agreement between AIC and REIC AIC members have access to the REIC’s courses and designation programs which cover all sectors of the real estate industry such as reserve fund planning, ethics, finance, law, leadership, human resources, leasing & negotiating, mortgage underwriting, property/asset management and more. Read the partnership announcement here. Read the FAQs here.