The Appraisal Institute of Canada was founded in 1938 as an organization of real property valuers, most of whom worked for large financial institutions in western Canada. Their goal was to ensure consistency and high standards in a field of practice that was vitally important to the settlement and financial security of the rapidly-growing nation.
Over the next few decades, membership grew rapidly. Chapters were established across Canada with the earliest Chapters being in the western provinces. The Edmonton and Calgary Chapters, both established prior to 1940, were among the first. The Lethbridge Chapter was formed in 1953, when the Calgary Chapter requested that a separate Chapter be formed for its members in southern Alberta.
As membership continued to grow, Chapters proposed formation of provincial branches in each province. These could coordinate the activities of chapters, provide local access to AIC and member services, and liaise with provincial governments on behalf of the profession.
A trial attempt to register a provincial association in BC was rejected by the BC government, on the grounds that AIC itself was not incorporated federally and did not have the authority to set up a registered provincial association.
In 1960, the Appraisal Institute of Canada became federally incorporated. After further discussion with the Chapters, provincial associations were formed and registered in each province, first in Ontario in 1967, followed quickly by BC in 1968.
The Alberta Association of the Appraisal Institute of Canada (now operating as the Appraisal Institute of Canada, Alberta or AIC AB) was established in November 1978, and registered under the Societies Act of the Province of Alberta on July 30, 1979.
The AIC AB, with no permanent office or staff, operated entirely through volunteers during the next decade. The new organization focussed mainly on delivery of education and approval of educational equivalencies in the province, and the pursuit of licensing of the profession through the AB government.
In 1992, the AIC AB opened a permanent office with full-time staff, and formally assumed broader responsibilities including advocacy and promotion, professional development, and delivery of most member services within the province, tasks which were formerly handled by the National office in Winnipeg. As part of this process the AIC – AB signed an affiliation agreement with the AIC, setting out the duties and responsibilities of both parties, which came into effect on July 30, 1992.
Registration and Licensing in Alberta
Once registered as an Association, the AIC – AB turned its attention to licensing of the appraisal profession. Research and discussion with members and the Alberta Government followed.
Licensing under the Real Estate Act appeared the most viable option, and on October 1, 2004 amendments to the Real Estate Act added real estate appraisers to the licensing and regulatory responsibilities of the Real Estate Council of Alberta. For more information on this topic, read Licensing of Real Estate Appraisers in the Province of Alberta [pdf].
Governance & Administration
The AIC – AB is governed by a volunteer Board, elected from the membership for a two-year term in accordance with the Bylaws. Officers, who also serve for two years, are the President, President-Elect, Vice-President, Secretary-Treasurer, and Past President. In addition, there are six directors, three from each of the Chapters. In addition, one or more additional directors are elected to serve on the National board and act as liaisons to the Provincial board. These directors, who belong to both boards, provide the necessary link between the National and Provincial Boards.
Standing Committees of the AIC – AB include Admissions (which includes the Examiners), Marketing and Communications, Legislative Policy Review, and Education. All committees report to the Board.
The AIC – AB office is staffed by a full-time Executive Director and a half-time Administrative Assistant.
Current President (2011)
Dan Ackerman, CRA
Appraisal Institute of Canada – Alberta
Unit 245, 495 - 36 Street NE
Calgary AB T2A 6K3
June 14, 2011