Member type: Any
Employment type: Permanent Full Time
Salary range: $100,000+
Closing Date: 2018/07/08
Contact Name: Human Resources
Contact Address: Box 5008
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Join a vibrant outdoor centric community filled with trails and breathtaking nature along the winding river valley of Red Deer, in Central Alberta. Red Deer is an economically dynamic region of Alberta situated directly between Edmonton and Calgary along the vital QE 2 corridor. It’s a perfect blend of small town friendliness and big city conveniences. Host to the 2016 Memorial Cup and the 2019 Canadian Winter Games, Red Deer continues to welcome all of Canada with open arms.
This position ensures strategic development and leadership of the programs and operations related to the City’s property assessment function. It demonstrates leadership by example of a collaborative and inclusive approach, and is responsible for providing subject matter expertise to senior administration and Council. Quality assurance, oversight of audit processes, and project leadership are key elements of the role. This position requires exceptional communication and negotiation skills in order to build strong relationships with other departments and external stakeholders including other orders of government, professional associations and property owners/agents. It is also responsible to manage organizational risk related to assessment operations. This position is the Appointed Assessor under the Municipal Government Act (MGA) and responsible for all related duties.
Ideally to fill this role you will have a professional assessment designation; Accredited Municipal Assessor (AMAA), Accredited Appraiser Canadian Institute (AACI), or designation meeting provincial Qualification of Assessor Regulation, and a 4 year university degree with specialized courses in assessment or appraisal..
In addition you will have:
- 7 years related management with direct supervisory experience in a complex, professional, technical and public policy environment. Proven track record of building high functioning operational units.
- 6 years valuation of residential, commercial/industrial and special use properties including thorough knowledge of assessment principles, methods, and techniques.
- Extensive knowledge of real estate valuation and mass appraisal techniques and sound judgment.
- Experience in:
- Communicating and negotiating complex and highly sensitive issues
- Managing a budget.
- The use of technology as an enabler for efficient and effective processes.
- Managing in a unionized environment.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills including listening effectively, resolving conflict, handling sensitive information, maintaining confidentiality and dealing with stakeholders tactfully and professionally.
- Ability to examine, recommend, and implement alternate methods of providing service.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize recommendations and decisions from diverse information.
- A customer service focus sensitive to the needs of citizens and business users.
- Thorough knowledge of relevant Alberta Acts, Regulations, and governance pertinent to assessment.
- Knowledge of financial issues regarding property assessment and tax.
- Computer and systems experience including; CAMA software, mobility applications, website, GIS and PC applications (including spreadsheets and database structures) and multiple regression analysis.
What we offer:
In addition to the very competitive salary and an excellent benefit package, we offer a great work environment with a dynamic and dedicated team of professionals.
We welcome applications until July 8, 2018.
For more information and to apply online, please visit us at www.reddeer.ca/careers or email your application to email@example.com.