The Professional Competency Interview (PCI) is the final step on the path to designation. It is based on Behavioural Descriptive Interview (BDI) techniques, and is carried out by trained examiners for Candidates who have passed the Applied Experience Written Examination.
The purpose of the Professional Competency Interview is to provide a formal opportunity for experienced Designated Members to assess the Candidate’s qualities and competencies in areas considered critical for success in the profession, based on situational questions designed to evaluate the individual’s aptitudes.
How to Schedule a Professional Competency Interview
To move on to the final step of your designation, you must:
- obtain a pass mark of 70% or better on the written Applied Experience Examination. Proof, in the form of written notice from the Real Estate Division of the Sauder School of Business, that you have passed the written Applied Experience examination with a mark of 70% or better, must be received by AIC before your application for the Professional Competency Interview can be accepted.
- be a member in good standing will be invited to the PCI.
- have completed your Applied Experience Progress Report and submitted it to your provincial association.
If you have met these requirements, the next steps are:
- Contact ac.ad1571827517anaci1571827517a@ICP1571827517 to schedule your Professional Competency Interview.
- AIC will send the Candidate Member a Professional Competency Interview Application Form that must be completed and returned to AIC with $195. This fee includes the administrative cost as well as the framed Designation Certificate.
- AIC will provide the Candidate Member with several date and time options for the interview
- The PCI interview is scheduled
- The PCI interview is completed
- Within 48 hours, the Candidate Member be notified of the result of the PCI
- If successful, the newly Designated Member will receive written confirmation of their accomplishment, instructions about professional liability insurance, and instructions regarding the awarding of your Designated member Certificate and pin.
The Five Competencies Tested
The professional duties of an appraiser require the ability to analyze information, identify key issues, relationships or objectives, diagnose opportunities, make sound inferences from available information, and draw logical conclusions. The thinking process may be linear, using cause and effect relationships to analyze problems in a step-by-step way. This competency enables problem definition and systematic diagnosis in order to understand a situation.
The professional duties of an appraiser require the ability to identify patterns or connections between situations that are not obviously related, and to identify key or underlying issues in complex situations. It includes using creative, conceptual, or inductive reasoning and applying learned complex concepts.
The professional duties of an appraiser require the ability to make decisions based on analysis of the information presented in the face of ambiguous or conflicting situations, or when there is an associated risk.
The professional duties of an appraiser require taking pride in ensuring that tasks are completed with a focus on accuracy and quality. It is expressed in such forms as monitoring and checking work or information, insisting on clarity of roles and functions, planning, etc.
The professional duties of an appraiser require the ability to make efforts to discover and meet the client’s needs. It implies a desire to help or serve others. “Clients” can be internal or external.
Technical Requirements for the Virtual Interview
There are two ways to participate in the PCI:
- The software program supports Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox as browsers; you must have an updated version of one of the two.
- You must have internet connection for the entire length of the interview.
- To successfully participate in the interview you will need to download the “VidLive” mobile application. You can download the mobile application from iTunes or Google Play, depending on what device you are using.
- You must have internet connection or sufficient data for the entire length of the interview.